What about . . . |Instruments|

Post anything you want here

Moderators:Yviene, Laysie

SasukeKun
Autoscopy
What about . . . |Instruments|

Post by SasukeKun » 16 Mar 2010, 08:49

Is there any musical instument that you play ?

Tell us what instrument it is and how long you play it . . .

I'll shout

I play electric guitar for 2 years and drums for 1 year, I can also give some hits on a piano, and my vocals aren't bad.
TianShi
Nirvana

Re: What about . . . |Instruments|

Post by TianShi » 16 Mar 2010, 15:48

Drums for 8 years. piano for the past 17years. i'm 20 years old at the moment :)
Marengo
Disengage

Post by Marengo » 20 Mar 2010, 13:48

piano for about 15 years, though i dont train every day now %)
x1000 ~ WF ~ Marengo
Active on PWI-LC (same name)
Adeno
Autoscopy

Post by Adeno » 23 Mar 2010, 21:03

My favorite instrument is the piano. I've been playing it since I was a tiny kid. I even had a piano musical pencil case lol :lol: I finally got tutored at school during my elementary days by my music teacher after school hours, so it was kind of a good start because I was able to apply what she taught during the actual class into our private piano lessons.

Unfortunately due to career moves, my first music teacher had to leave and was replaced by a very mean and arrogant music teacher! She "taught" me but I never liked her hyper angry teaching style. I quit learning from her because she always made me feel uncomfortable. Everyone in class also didn't like her since she was mean and didn't know how to get along with us kids.

My last, but definitely favorite and best piano teacher was a simple old lady from world war 2. I met her during my grandma's birthday when I saw her perform a lot of music without even having any sheet music in front of her. She could also play music right away just after hearing it for the first time, so I was very impressed. I asked her if she would be my piano teacher, and fortunately she accepted me as her student.

We both started back from scratch, she made me unlearn my bad habits which the previous piano teachers never told me about. She taught me how to read notes again, the basics and then the advanced stuff of music theory, and tips on how to play music as it is shown on sheet music. Best of all, she not only taught me how to play music as it was written, she also taught me how to break free from the constraints of sheet music and interpret the music on my own. Yes, she really was the best piano teacher for me, she was very kind hearted, she got along with me very easily, her teaching method was interesting and fun, and she covered all bases of piano playing by making me learn music theory and then breaking the rules for creativity's sake, and surprisingly, I also learned how to play music by ear just like her and also how to compose my own songs. She really encouraged me to create original music, and I'm happy with that.

Too bad time took her away from me. I never had another piano teacher after her, so I decided on myself that I'll learn more on my own. I did research on the internet and found a lot of information about jazz, something that I've been wanting to develop for a long time. I also bought some books like the Jazz Theory from Mark Levine and others, they were really good and easy to understand.

My favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans, but I also like Thelonious Monk. I also like the ballads from Korean tv shows because most of them are very emotional and beautiful. Some pop songs are nice when you play them on the piano without all the other electronic noises and auto-tuning (I hate auto-tune, it makes me imagine the singer is in a Transformers cartoon). Heavy metal from the 80s is also cool, I just dislike the "demonic growl" that a lot of the recent metal songs have. It's just unappealing for me to listen to guys growling the words to their songs, it's very hard to understand what the song is about lol :lol:

When the time comes that I have the proper resources, I'd love to learn how to play the saxophone and the guitar as well :lol:
TianShi
Nirvana

Post by TianShi » 25 Mar 2010, 18:10

WOW Adeno, so much love for music ;) nice :!: hehehe... Well learning on our own also fun. i never had a piano teacher after the last one left me to Australia to continue her study. and busy for university atm >.<
but for that teacher from WW2.. was a great story. and all my condolences goes out to you.. =) you'll be a great musician for yourself later on if you have determination and spirit in music ^__^
Miyuki
Vigilance

Post by Miyuki » 02 Apr 2010, 15:18

i only know how to play flute... >.<
IGN: 1000x - miyuki lvl10x WF;
"Silver medal for 200m, Bronze for 100m. YAY!"
"Status: Inactive. Need REST!!!!!"
TianShi
Nirvana

Post by TianShi » 02 Apr 2010, 19:54

flute? sooo elementary school but cool! :)
Miyuki
Vigilance

Post by Miyuki » 03 Apr 2010, 07:00

yeah...only play that when i was small...our school has music class...and exam for playing flute >.<
i can say the whole school is forced to learn how to play flute XD
IGN: 1000x - miyuki lvl10x WF;
"Silver medal for 200m, Bronze for 100m. YAY!"
"Status: Inactive. Need REST!!!!!"
TianShi
Nirvana

Post by TianShi » 03 Apr 2010, 11:00

omg they do that in ur country too :shock: